Moving Your Loved One Into A Medicaid Eligible Assisted Living Place

4 May 2021
 Categories: , Blog

Taking care of a disabled, aging, or infirm loved one can be more than you can handle on your own. You may have your own children and spouse to take care of each day. You also may have no idea of how to meet the loved one's daily medical challenges.

Instead of allowing this person to languish on his or her own, you can find a facility that can take over his or her care. You can move him or her into a Medicaid-eligible assisted living home and know that your relative is well looked after each day.

Accepting the Insurance

When your relative has state-subsidized health insurance, he or she may need to be moved into a facility that is specifically designated for this type of coverage. Private facilities, for example, may not take the insurance. They may only accept private health insurance policies, as well as pensions that come from privately funded programs.

With that, you may need to ask the state for a referral to find a publicly funded Medicaid-eligible assisted living facility. The facility will accept your relative's insurance, send out the billing to the state, and avoid expecting you or anyone else in the loved one's family to cover costs that the state subsidies may not pay for readily.

State Inspections

You also may feel more at peace of leaving your loved one in the facility by realizing that state-subsidized Medicaid eligible assisted living places undergo the same number, if not more, of inspections for safety and cleanliness. You avoid thinking that your relative will be poorly cared for because the facility is not privately funded. You also know that the state will overlook the facility's cleanliness and care for its patients.

The state may even publish the inspection reports online for relatives to view as often as needed. You can use this report to determine if the facility that the state recommends for your loved one can offer the level of care that you want for him or her. You can also see past infractions that might have been reported. 

When you cannot care for an elderly, sick, or disabled relative at home, you may need to move him or her to a Medicaid-eligible assisted living facility. You can get a referral from the state for one that accepts this insurance and regularly undergoes inspections for cleanliness and safety.

For more information, reach out to a Medicaid-eligible assisted living facility in your area.